Unless you have discovered our good friends up at Sugar Bowl Resort, or you are willing to miss first-chair turns, traffic to our local resorts has become a large issue. Even after you have made it through gridlock traffic, the lift lines have become another test of one’s patience. That is probably why cross-country skiing is quickly becoming the new alternative form of getting outside and enjoying some horizontal slide time. So we put together the following list of Groomed Cross Country Trails here in Truckee as well as a few in nearby areas where you can avoid traffic, skip lines and enjoy some of the nation’s best views.
Groomed Trails In Truckee – Call Ahead About Dog Policy
- Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski Area – Offering rentals and lessons for newcomers as well as one being voted as of the best cross-country ski centers in the United States by USA Today, this is a great place for anyone to have a day outside while enjoying some panoramic views of the High Sierras. GET DIRECTIONS →
- Donner Memorial State Park – There are three color-coded trails with one trailhead to start from located near the Emigrant Trail Museum. You can park either at the Museum or near the park entrance. The trails are: Lake Loop Trail – 2.5 miles (Easiest) Coldstream Trail – 2.1 miles (Steeper) Upper Coldstream Trail – 1.4 miles (Most Difficult) GET DIRECTIONS →
Groomed Trails In Truckee Area – Call Ahead About Dog Policy
- Clair Tappaan Lodge (Norden, CA – top of Donner Summit) – Offering miles of groomed trails starting from their front door, the lodge has a rental shop, free trail access for guests, and a trail system with a variety of challenges for all abilities. GET DIRECTIONS →
- Royal Gorge Cross Country Ski Resort (Soda Springs) – With a pro shop for lessons and rentals, the Royal Gorge is the largest cross-country ski area in North America, known for its sweeping views of the Northern Sierra and eight distinct trail systems. GET DIRECTIONS →
- Tahoe Cross Country Ski Area (Tahoe City) – With 30+ miles of groomed Nordic ski tracks in the winter and access to lessons and rentals. This place is North Lake Tahoe’s premier Cross-Country ski area GET DIRECTIONS →
NEED XC SKIING SUPPLIES?
GET DIRECTIONS TO YOUR NEAREST TRUCKEE MOUNTAIN SHOP!